K A S H R U T . C O M©
The Premier Kosher Information Source on the Internet
HOME | PASSOVER | CONSUMER | COMMERCIAL | TRAVEL | ZEMANIM | LINKS |
ARTICLES | RECIPES | HUMOR | E-MAIL LIST
Chometz after Passover 2017
The following information is from a number of sources. There are also different opinions so I am posting the information with its source. Be reminded that in many communities, there is not a problem with chometz achar Pesach in the local kosher store whose chometz has been sold by the local vaad or rabbi.
New York: STATUS OF STORES TO SHOP IN AFTER PESACHfrom Congregation Ohab Zedek
This list current as of April 14, 2017
- April 19, 2017 - Rabbi Elazar M. Teitz sold the chometz for Shop Rite Supermarkets and Price Rite.
- April 19, 2017 from the Kof-K: The Kof-K has sold the chomets for Jethro/Restaurant Depot, and all Fairway stores under the KOF-K Kosher Supervision.
- April 19, 2017 is here from the Kof-K: he KOF-K in Conjunction with Harav Belsky's Beis Din Sold C&S Wholesale Grocers' Chometz Ahead of Pesach, a Jewish owned food distibutor that provides products to many supermarkets and stores. Link to letter is here.
The following is a list of the top customers on the C & S website:
(Please note that this does not apply to the individual stores but
rather to the supplier/distributor known as C&S Wholesale Grocers.
Individual stores require their own Chometz sale if they have Jewish
- Chicago area: April 19, 2017 - From the cRc - The following CHICAGO AREA STORES are either owned by gentiles or have arranged to sell their chometz for Passover. Please check with your local kashrus agency for details regarding stores outside of the Chicago area:
All cRc certified stores, caterers and factories
- Aldi's (All Locations)
- The Animal Store (Touhy Ave., Lincolnwood, IL)
- Anton's (Highland Park, IL)
- Binny's Liquors (All Locations)
- BJ's (All Locations)
- City Fresh Market (Devon & Kedzie, Chicago, IL)
- Costco (All Locations)
- CVS Pharmacy (All Locations)
- Dempster Fruit (Skokie, IL)
- Dollar Tree Stores (All Locations)
- Food 4 Less (All Locations)
- Garden Fresh Market (All Locations)
- Jerry's Market (Milwaukee Ave. & Oakton, Niles, IL)
- Jewel (All Locations)
- Kmart (All Locations)
- Kroger (All Locations)
- Lincolnwood Produce (Lincolnwood, IL)
- Mariano's (All Locations)
- Marketplace on Oakton (Skokie, IL)
- Meijer (All Locations)
- OSCO Pharmacy (All Locations)
- Petco (All Locations)
- Pet Smart (All Locations)
- Pet Supplies Plus (Lincolnwood, IL)
- Rosen's Drugs (Devon Ave., Chicago, IL)
- Sam's Club (All Locations)
- Save A Lot (All Locations)
- Seven-Eleven (All stores in the Chicago & Skokie areas)
- Starbuck's (All Locations)
- Ted's (Devon)
- Target (All Locations in Chicago Area ONLY)
- Trader Joe's (All Locations)
- Treasure Island (All Locations)
- Wal-Mart (All Locations in Chicago Area)
- Walgreen's (All Locations)
- Whole Foods (All Locations)
- Detroit Area: April 20, 2017 - POST-PESACH 5777 INFORMATION - DETROIT AREA - from the COR Detroit:
CHOMETZ may be purchased from the following stores in the Detroit area after 10:15 PM on Motzoei Pesach, April 18, 2017.
|All K-COR certified establishments
||Busch's Fresh Food Market
||Dollar Tree stores
||Family Dollar Stores
||GFS (Gordon Food Service)
|Joe Randazzo's Fruit & Veg. Market
||One Stop Kosher Market
|Sam's Club Warehouse
||Save-A-Lot at 11 & Greenfield
||Superior Kosher Meats
It is advisable to wait two weeks after Pesach (May 3) before buying “pure” chometz products (e.g., bread, grain cereals, pasta, cookies and pretzels) at Jewish owned stores that do not observe Pesach, even if they made a Mechiras Chometz before Pesach, due to the possibility that new chometz was received during Pesach. This includes Produce Palace International in Warren, Johnny Pomodoro's Fresh Market, Restaurant Depot and Natural Food Patch. It is permitted to purchase most other products immediately after Pesach, including pearled raw barley, dry cake mixes, flour (without malted barley), glue, all kitniyos, ketchup, mayonnaise, medicines, mustard, vinegar, vitamin tablets, baker’s yeast, and yeast extract.
Buying chometz from Kroger and Target in the Detroit area after Pesach involves Halachic uncertainty. Although these stores are owned by non-Jews, there is a possibility that they are supplied by C&S, which is a privately-owned Jewish food distributor, and the chometz sold after Pesach may have been in the possession of C&S during Pesach. Since it is difficult to gather precise information, it is advisable to wait until two weeks after Pesach, May 3, before buying "pure" chometz items from these stores.
You Can Shop in the Following Establishments All chains listed on this grid are owned by non-Jews:
|A & P
|BJ’s Wholesale Club
Los Angeles:From Kosherquest.org:
- Barzini's, Fairway, and Fresh Direct have Jewish ownership and their chametz was sold. Please ask about these establishments as they were open during Pesach.
- Jewish Owned Establishments that sold only Passover products during Pesach.
- Limitations after Pesach apply only to the purchase of chametz. You can purchase non-chametz items, including kitniyot, in any Jewish Owned Establishment immediately after Pesach.
A Jew may buy from the following stores immediately after Pesach:
Boston Area: From the KVH:
|7-Eleven||Gelson's||Smart & Final
|99 cent store||Jetro/Restaurant Depot||Smith’s
|Albertsons||Jon's||Target (in California)
|BevMo||K-Mart ||Trader Joe’s
|Big Lots||Nuts & More||Vons / Pavilions
|Dollar Tree||Rite Aid
|Erewhon||Sadaf||Wine & Liquor Depot
|Fresh & Easy||Sam's Club||Whole Foods
For those that prefer not to rely on any sale of Chometz the following are the best options:
BJ’s, Costco, CVS, Trader Joe’s, Wegman's & Whole Foods
Based on our research Chometz from all Major Grocery Stores is permitted to be purchased at this
time. Almost all stores in our area have no Jewish ownership, and the ones that have Jewish
Ownership have divested themselves from owning Chometz for the duration of Pesach according to
And of course all KVH Kosher Certified Establishments have divested themselves from owning
Chometz for the duration of Pesach according to Torah Law.
Regarding Liquor Stores a serious concern has come to light of Jewish ownership of many local Liquor stores, as well as major Liquor Distributors in the Greater Boston Area. Therefor until the end of May 2017 only Chometz beverages purchased in one of the above locations, any non Jewish-Owned
Liquor Store, or one of the following liqueur stores should be purchased.
Washington-DC April 20, 2017 from the Capitol K:
- Gary's Liquors | 655 VFW Pkwy, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
- Murray's | 747 Beacon Street, Newton Centre, MA 02459
- Zaydes Market | 15 Washington St, Canton, MA 02021
Chametz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2017
Southern Florida April 22, 2017 from the ORB:
- All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
- National stores: BJ's Wholesale Club, Costco Wholesale, CVS Pharmacy, Food Lion, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Royal Farms, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walmart, Wegmans Food Markets, Walgreens, Winn-Dixie
- Stores in our community: Aldi, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market.
- Please note: Chametz may only be purchased from Snider's Super Foods beginning four weeks after Pesach. Due to possible Chametz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chametz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chametz from Giant Food, Safeway and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
- The stores listed which one may purchase from immediately following Pesach are either because there is no Jewish ownership, or because a valid sale of Chametz by the Jewish owner to a non-Jew under the auspices of a Rabbi was executed. The stores listed where one may not purchase Chametz immediately after Pesach are either Jewish owned or supplied.
- Breif Explantion of Chametz She Avar Alav HaPesach
It is prohibited Rabbinically to purchase Chametz after Pesach from a Jew who maintained Chametz in his possession over the course of the holiday of Pesach. This is referred to in Rabbinic literature as Chametz She Avar Alav HaPesach.
- The definition of Chametz is any product that consists of the five major grains including wheat, barley, oat, rye, or spelt in a significant concentration. There is no prohibition to purchase Chametz from a non-Jew who was in the possession of Chametz over Pesach.
- We suggest that you please contact your Rav for any further clarification or understanding relating to the issue of Chametz after Pesach.
Upon further research and investigation,
the ORB has determined that
it is acceptable to purchase chametz gamur
from Target stores in Southeast Florida at this time.
April 18, 2017: The ORB is pleased to announce that
one may purchase chametz from any ORB establishment.
All ORB facilities either sold their chametz or are non-Jewish owned.
To the best of our knowledge,
all secular grocery stores, such as
BJs, Costco, CVS, K-Mart, Publix, Target,
Walgreens, Walmart, Whole Foods, and Winn Dixie
are non-Jewish and corporate owned and therefore
exempt from needing to sell their chametz.
Many liquor distributors are Jewish
and often do not sell their chametz.
Therefore, it is recommended to refrain from
purchasing liquor for a few weeks after Pesach
to insure that you are not buying product
that may have existed during Pesach.
Ed. note: Check with your local rabbinical authority regarding establishments in your community.
We do not have any information about establishments which are not listed.
Articles on chometz after Passover