K A S H R U T . C O M©
The Premier Kosher Information Source on the Internet
HOME | PASSOVER | CONSUMER | COMMERCIAL | TRAVEL | ZEMANIM | LINKS |
ARTICLES | RECIPES | HUMOR | E-MAIL LIST
Chometz after Passover 2016
The following information is from a number of sources. There are also different opinions so I am posting the information with its source. Be reminded that in many communities, there is not a problem with chometz achar Pesach in the local kosher store whose chometz has been sold by the local vaad or rabbi.
New York: STATUS OF STORES TO SHOP IN AFTER PESACHfrom Congregation Ohab Zedek
This list current as of April 12, 2016
- May 2, 2016 - Rabbi Elazar M. Teitz sold the chometz for Shop Rite Supermarkets and Price Rite
- The Kof-K has sold the chomets for Jethro/Restaurant Depot, and all Fairway stores under the KOF-K Kosher Supervision.
- May 2, 2016 - The Badatz Btzedek Tikspoit (The Beth Din of HaRav Ch. Yisoel Belsky ZT"L has sold the chometz and Chometz containing products of C&S, a Jewish owned food distibutor that provides products to many supermarkets and stores. A copy of the letter is here.
The following is a list of the top customers on the C & S website:
|The Food Emporium||Food Basics
(Please note that this does not apply to the individual stores but
rather to the supplier/distributor known as C&S Wholesale Grocers.
Individual stores require their own Chometz sale if they have Jewish
- Chicago area: May 2, 2016 - From the cRc - The following CHICAGO AREA STORES are either owned by gentiles or have arranged to sell their chometz for Passover:
All cRc certified stores, caterers and factories
- Aldi's (All Locations)
- The Animal Store (Touhy Ave., Lincolnwood, IL)
- Anton's (Highland Park, IL)
- Binny's Liquors (All Locations)
- BJ's (All Locations)
- City Fresh Market (Devon & Kedzie, Chicago, IL)
- Costco (All Locations)
- CVS Pharmacy (All Locations)
- Dempster Fruit (Skokie, IL)
- Dollar Tree Stores (All Locations)
- Food 4 Less (All Locations)
- Garden Fresh Market (All Locations)
- Jerry's Market (Milwaukee Ave. & Oakton, Niles, IL)
- Jewel (All Locations)
- Kmart (All Locations)
- Kroger (All Locations)
- Lincolnwood Produce (Lincolnwood, IL)
- Mariano's (All Locations)
- Marketplace on Oakton (Skokie, IL)
- Meijer (All Locations)
- OSCO Pharmacy (All Locations)
- Petco (All Locations)
- Pet Smart (All Locations)
- Pet Supplies Plus (Lincolnwood, IL)
- Rosen's Drugs (Devon Ave., Chicago, IL)
- Sam's Club (All Locations)
- Save A Lot (All Locations)
- Seven-Eleven (All stores in the Chicago & Skokie areas)
- Starbuck's (All Locations)
- Ted's (Devon)
- Target (All Locations in Chicago Area ONLY)
- Trader Joe's (All Locations)
- Treasure Island (All Locations)
- Wal-Mart (All Locations in Chicago Area)
- Walgreen's (All Locations)
- Whole Foods (All Locations)
- Detroit Area: Post-Pesach 5776 Information –from the COR Detroit:
|All K-COR certified|| Meijer|| Sam’s Club Warehouse|
|establishments|| Nutrifoods|| Superior Kosher Meats|
|Aldi||One Stop Kosher Market||Trader Joe's|
|Costco ||Plum Market ||Wal-Mart|
|CVS ||Randazzo ||Walgreens|
|Family Dollar Stores ||Rite Aid ||Westborn|
|GFS (Gordon Food Service) ||Save-A-Lot ||Whole Foods|
|K-Mart ||(11 & Greenfield)|
Buying chometz from Kroger and Target in the Detroit area after Pesach involves Halachic uncertainty. Although these stores are owned by non-Jews, there is a possibility that they are supplied by C&S, which is a privately-owned Jewish food distributor, and the chometz sold after Pesach may have been in C&S' possession during Pesach. Since it is difficult to gather precise information, it is advisable to wait until two weeks after Pesach, May 15, before buying "pure" chometz items (e.g., bread, grain cereals, pasta, cookies and pretzels) from these stores. But it is permitted to purchase immediately after Pesach most other products, including such items as pearled raw barley, dry cake mixes, flour (without malted barley), glue, all kitniyos, ketchup, mayonnaise, medicines, mustard, vinegar, vitamin tablets, baker’s yeast, and yeast extract.
published May 3, 2016
You Can Shop in the Following Establishments All chains listed on this grid are owned by non-Jews:
|A & P
|BJ’s Wholesale Club
Los Angeles:From Kosherquest.org:
- Barzini’s, Fairway, and Fresh Direct have Jewish ownership and their chametz was sold. Please ask about these establishments as they were open during Pesach.
- Jewish Owned Establishments that sold only Passover products during Pesach.
- Limitations after Pesach apply only to the purchase of chametz. You can purchase non-chametz items, including kitniyot, in any Jewish Owned Establishment immediately after Pesach.
A Jew may buy from the following stores immediately after Pesach:
Boston Area: From Young Israel of Brookline
|7-Eleven||Gelson's||Smart & Final
|99 cent store||Jetro/Restaurant Depot||Smith’s
|Albertsons||Jon’s||Target (in California)
|BevMo||K-Mart ||Trader Joe’s
|Big Lots||Nuts & More||Vons / Pavilions
|Erewhon||Sadaf||Wine & Liquor Depot
|Fresh & Easy||Sam’s Club||Whole Foods
Washington-DC area from the Capitol K
- Supermarkets & Convenience/Drug Stores:
- BJ’s, Costco, CVS, K-Mart, Rite-Aid,
Shaws/Star Market, Stop & Shop, Walgreens,
Walmart, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s
- Kosher Restaurants/Caterers/Bakeries/Grocery:
16 Handles, Blacker’s Bakers, The Butcherie, Café Eilat, Catering by Andrew, Cheryl Anns, ColdPress, J.P. Licks, Jerusalem Pita & Grill, Kupel’s, Ora Catering, Rami’s, Rubin’s Deli, Rosenfeld Bagel Co., Stop & Shop Bake Shop, Shaw/Star Bake Shop, Taam China
Chametz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2016:
All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
- B.J.’s, Costco, C.V.S., Food Lion, K-Mart, Mars, Petco, Petsmart, Royal Farms, Rite-Aid, Sam’s Discount Warehouse, Save A’ Lot, Shopper’s food, Trader Joe’s, Walmart, Wegmans, Walgreens, Win Dixie
Stores in our community
- Aldi’s, H-Mart, Harris Teeter, Mom’s, Shop Rite of White Oak, Whole Foods
- Chametz may only be purchased from Snider’s beginning four weeks after
- Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four
weeks after Pesach.
- Lakewood: From the LakewoodScoop based on the Star-K:
"Purchasing Chometz from Target – even locally in Lakewood and Howell – immediately after Pesach should be avoided if possible, according to Rabbi Shmuel Heinemann of the Star-K. Rabbi Heinemann explains that the items may be from a Jewish distributor that does not sell its Chometz, posing a problem for consumers in regards to Chometz not owned by a non-Jew over Pesach.If possible, says Rabbi Heinemann, one should avoid purchasing items from Target until four weeks after Pesach."
In addition, you must inquire regarding each Shoprite store.
Purchasing Chometz items immediately after Pesach from the following national stores, is okay.
|Royal Farms||Sam’s Discount Warehouse||Shoppers Food Warehouse|
Ed. note: Check with your local rabbinical authority regarding establishments in your community.
We do not have any information about establishments which are not listed.
Articles on chometz after Passover