Instructions For Taking Terumah and Ma’aser
Periodically fruits and vegetables come in from Israel. Before
one is able to eat any of these fruit, Terumah and
Ma’aser must be taken.
Remove a little more than 1% of each kind of food and say the
- “The more than 1% on the Northern side of the separated
pile is Terumah Gedolah.
- The 1% left in the separated pile plus 9 equal portions on
the Northern side of the produce is Ma’aser
- The 1% which 1 made Ma’aser Rishon shall become
- 10% of the remaining produce of the Southern side, is either
(depending on the year of the Shmittah cycle)
Ma’aser Sheini or Ma’aser Ani. If it is
Ma’aser Sheini, it shall be redeemed on one
Prutah of the coin which is in the possession of Rav
Yehoshua Neuwirth Shlita in Jerusalem.” (Which can be relied
upon until Chanukah 5767)
- Whatever has been separated for Terumah Gedolah and
for Terumas Ma’aser must not be eaten or used for any
purpose but should be completely wrapped in a dignified manner
(plastic bag or the like) and must be disposed of.
When short on time, one may recite the following abbreviated
“I hereby separate Terumas and
Ma’asros and the redemption of Ma’aser
Sheini when needed in accordance with all details contained in
NOTE: Separation of Terumas and Ma’asros on
Shabbos and Yom Tov is forbidden.