K A S H R U T . C O M©
The Premier Kosher Information Source on the Internet
HOME | PASSOVER | CONSUMER | COMMERCIAL | TRAVEL | ZEMANIM | LINKS |
ARTICLES | RECIPES | HUMOR | E-MAIL LIST
Kosher Alcoholic Beverage Information
KOSHER LIQUOR LISTS
Articles on Issues of Kosher Liquor
Alcoholic Beverage News and Alerts
Approved products are not kosher for Passover unless noted as such on the individual label.
WE DO NOT HAVE ANY FURTHER INFORMATION ON DRINK OR LIQUOR NOT LISTED ON THESE WEBSITES.
PLEASE NOTE: Not all energy drinks and alcoholic beverages such as certain lemonades are certified kosher.
Note: Consumer should be careful to purchase all liquor from a store that either sold their chometz or is owned by a non-Jew.
From the cRc: All wines served at a cRc event, regardless of the location, host or caterer must bear acceptable certification and must be mevushal (cooked).
Check bottles for an acceptable certification and a statement that the wine is mevushal. Many Israeli and French wines are not mevushal, so care must be exercised.
Carmel Wines from Israel must bear the OU on the label; some wines produced during the shmita year will not have the OU on the label.
Alfasi wine, from Chile, is under the OK but not all are mevushal. Each label should be checked.
Ad Lo Yadah
(The Making of Kosher Wine, Beer, and Spirits)
Rabbi Zushe Yosef Blech
Reprinted with permission from
Vaad Ha'ir of Montreal Volume 1, Issue 8 Adar Sheini 5760 / March 2000 © 2000 Rabbi Blech
Shmitta Alert: Recanati Wine
February 16, 2017- from the the Atlanta Kashruth Commission:
2015 Recanati Wine does not have OU certification (shmita concern). The AKC does not recommend purchasing this product, and has asked local stores to remove it from the kosher sections.
Kashrus information: Richland Dark Aged Rum
February 16, 2017- from the the Atlanta Kashruth Commission:
Richland Dark Aged Rum is now AKC approved, even without the AKC logo.
Kashrus information on Monday Night Brewery
May 25, 2016 from the Atlanta Kashruth Commission:
We are proud to announce that Monday Night Brewery is now AKC certified! Any of their year round beers including: Slap Fight, Nerd Alert, Blind Pirate, Fu Manbrew, Drafty Kilt and Eye Patch Ale are now Kosher Certified whether in a bottle, can, or by draft! The beer is Kosher even when not bearing an AKC symbol.
Although regular beer does not require a hechsher, beers produced in microbreweries or that have flavors added, do. Feel free to show Monday Night Brewery that it was worth going Kosher, and that they are appreciated by the community, by buying their beer. These beers can be purchased at Kroger, Publix, and many other locations.
British Kashrus info on Thunder Toffee Vodka
February 23, 2016: From the London Beth Din: Thunder Toffee Vodka now certified KLBD Parev only when bearing the KLBD logo. Currently sold at Kosher Kingdom, BKosher, Mendy's and Sussers.
Bushmills Distillery (Ireland) newly certified
February 11, 2016: From the OK Kosher Certification Twitter Feed: Bushmills Distillery (Ireland) is now OK kosher certified. They produce Irish whiskey.
Tanqueray Gin Kashrus Alert
From the Beth Din of Johannesburg on January 15, 2016: Please be aware, that we have received correspondence from the Federation of Synagogues in London (KF), whom used to certify "Tanqueray Gin", letting us know that this product is no longer certified and therefore is no longer an approved kosher product for consumption in South Africa.
Kosher Standards on Kosher Spirits Continue to Evolve
from the Chicago Rabbinical Council on January 26, 2016: Based on the findings of a recent AKO Liquor Committee Meeting, the cRc has decided to update the following liquor policies, as follows:
- Tequila: Unflavored tequila, regardless of class and category, is recommended without hashgacha unless the label indicates that it was aged or finished in wine casks.
- Rum: Unflavored rum, regardless of color or class, is recommended without hashgacha unless the label indicates that it was aged or finished in wine casks.
- Canadian Whisky: Canadian Whisky is recommended only if it is known to only contain kosher ingredients or has reliable certification.
- Gin: Standard gin is recommended without hashgacha (even when containing juniper berries and other botanicals) unless the label states that it is produced from grapes, wine, milk, lactose, or whey. Special attention should be paid to gin from France, New Zealand, and Australia. Flavored gin (e.g. Lemon-flavored gin) requires hashgacha. Sloe Gin is a liqueur and requires certification.
- Beer: The current beer policy remains the same but please be aware that flavored beer requires hashgacha, even if only flavored with spices, botanicals, and fruit.
Baltika Beer is no longer certified by OK kosher
From the OK Kosher Certification on January 20, 2015: Baltika Brewery, St. Petersburg, Russia: Please be advised that Baltika Beer is no longer certified by OK Kosher Certification.
Minhas Craft Brewery Products no longer cRc Certified
From the cRc on January 4, 2016 with additional information on January 7, 2016:
Effective immediately, all products from Minhas Craft Brewery, Monroe, WI, are no longer certified by the Chicago Rabbinical Council (cRc).
Additional information from the cRc in response to the editor's questions: These products did not bear a cRc. The cRc did not certify any tequila, distilled products, or flavored beer.
Hortinos 100% Pro Agave Tequila is now certified kosher
From KMD Mexico on October 23, 2015: Hortinos 100% Pro Agave Tequila Las siguientes Bebidas Alcohólicas de la marca Hornitos están autorizadas como Mehadrin Parve
- Licor de Tequila 100% Agave - Honey
- Tequila 100% Agave - Añejo
- Tequila 100% Agave - Plata / Blanco
- Tequila 100% Agave - Black Barrel
- Tequila 100% Agave - Lemón Shot
- Tequila 100% Agave - Reposado
Translation from Google translate: The following Liquor mark the Hornitos are authorized as Mehadrin Parve
- Liquor Tequila 100% Agave - Honey
- 100% Agave Tequila - Añejo
- 100% Agave Tequila - Silver / White
- 100% Agave Tequila - Black Barrel
- 100% Agave Tequila - Lemon Shot
- 100% Agave Tequila - Reposado