K A S H R U T . C O M©
The Premier Kosher Information Source on the Internet
HOME | PASSOVER | CONSUMER | COMMERCIAL | TRAVEL | ZEMANIM | LINKS |
ARTICLES | RECIPES | HUMOR | E-MAIL LIST
SPICED HOLIDAY CHICKEN
The orange marmalade and ginger form a golden glaze
over the chicken while the apricots and figs impart their
fruity flavors to the juices and look wonderful sprinkled
among the chicken pieces. The brown sugar in this
recipe symbolizes the hoped - for sweetness as the New
Year begins with this festive dish as its focal point. It is
easy to prepare and can be assembled ahead of time.
- Two 2½ pound Chickens, cut into eighths
- 1½ cups orange marmalade
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- 1½ cups dried apricots
- 1 cup dried small figs
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup large pecan pieces (optional)
- Grated zest of oranges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse chicken and discard any excess fat. Pat dry with paper towels.
Place skin side up, in a shallow roasting pan.
Spread marmalade over the chicken and sprinkle with salt, pepper
garlic, thyme, cumin and ginger. Pour the orange juice and vinegar
into the pan. Bake 20 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from the oven and add the olives, apricots and figs to
the pan, mixing the fruit evenly. Sprinkle the fruit with the chicken
frequently, until the chicken is golden brown and the juices run clear
when the leg meat is pierced with a knife, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Using a fork and slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, olives,
and dried fruit to a large serving platter. De-fat pan juices,
then drizzle chicken with afew large spoonfuls of the pan juices
and sprinkle with the pecans. Sprinkle orange zest over all.
Pass the remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.
Serves 6 to 8
Back to the Kashrut.com Home Page