K A S H R U T . C O M©
The Premier Kosher Information Source on the Internet
HOME | PASSOVER | CONSUMER | COMMERCIAL | TRAVEL | ZEMANIM | LINKS |
ARTICLES | RECIPES | HUMOR | E-MAIL LIST
GRILLED TURKEY BURGERS ON PITA BREAD WITH RED ONION CONFIT
Lean, delicious turkey burgers, served with a tart-sweet red onion confit on pita bread. The confit can be prepared ahead of time. It keeps for up to six
weeks covered and refrigerated. It is also great with steak or on turkey sandwiches. Serve the burgers with assorted mustards and good half-sour pickles,
a bowl of lettuce, and a plate of sliced tomatoes.
RED ONION CONFIT
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
- 6-inch pita breads with pockets
- 1 package Fresh Ground Turkey Burgers or ground beef
- To make the confit, in a large nonreactive saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions, sugar, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Cover and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and add the vinegars. Turn the heat to high and cook, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid is gone, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. Cook the burgers about 4 inches from the heat until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Warm the pita bread on the grill or in the oven. Fill each of the pitas with a burger and some of the confit. Serve.
Back to the Kashrut.com