- 2 shallots, peeled
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 12 fresh basil leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 packages 8pc cut up Empire chickens, all visible fat removed.
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- To make the marinade, in a food processor, combine the shallots, molasses, tomato paste, garlic, rosemary, oregano, basil, vinegar, and wine. Pulse until the vegetables are finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and the marinade. Stir to coat the chicken well, cover, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Prepare a grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain; reserve the marinade. Grill the chicken over medium heat about 4 inches from the heat source, turning frequently, until the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a fork, 30 to 40 minutes, or broil, turning once, 10 to 12 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining marinade with the wine. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer to reduce, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken immediately or at room temperature with the sauce.
- 350°F for 1 1/2 hours until an internal temperature of 160 °F.