The following news is from the Global Meat News on October 7, 2015.
A proposal for the European Commision on Organic Farming Standards requires pre-stunning of animals before slaughter in order for them to called organic.
The following news is from the Parliamentary Assembly News, Vosizneias.com and Matzav.comm posted on October 3, 2015.
The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe passed the following resolution which guarantees circumcision and the right to do religious slaughter in Europe: "Religious communities should be able to exercise the right to freedom of religion “without impediment and without discrimination” and to practise their faith publicly and freely in accordance with their own rites."
"The council recommended that states require circumcisions to be performed by people trained to do so, in appropriate medical and health conditions, and that parents be informed of any medical risk to their child."
"The resolution also addresses ritual slaughter, stating that PACE is not convinced it should be banned and recommending following the French or German model of protecting animals from unnecessary suffering while respecting religious freedom."
The following product safety alert is from the CPSC on September 29, 2015.
Calphalon is recalling Pizza Wheels because the handle of the pizza cutter can detach during use, posing a laceration hazard. The pizza cutter consists of a circular metal blade that is approximately 3 ½ inches in diameter, connected to a gray hand guard and black handle. The word “Calphalon” is embossed on the top of the black handle. Model number GT112, 1793513 or 1793521 are printed near the barcode on the packaging.
The firm has received 11 incident reports, including 6 reports of finger lacerations. One person required stitches and another person received medical attention to close their wounds.
Consumers should immediately stop using the pizza wheel and contact Calphalon for a full refund.
Sold at Bed Bath & Beyond, J.C. Penney, Kohls, Target, Walmart and other stores nationwide, and online at amazon.com, bedbathandbeyond.com, sears.com, target.com and other online retailers between January 2006 and August 2015 for about $15.
Consumer Contact: Calphalon at 800-809-7267 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.calphalon.com and click on “Calphalon Pizza Wheel Recall Information” in the center of the page for more information.
The following product safety alert is from the CPSC on October 1, 2015.
Bosch, Gaggenau, Kenmore Elite and Thermador Dishwashers have been recalled because the power cord can overheat, posing a fire hazard.
This recall involves power cords supplied with certain Bosch, Gaggenau, Kenmore Elite and Thermador brand dishwashers that were manufactured from January 2008 through December 2013. Model and serial numbers are located on the top side of the dishwashers’ inner door panels. The following brands, models and serial numbers are being recalled:
Model # beginning with
Serial # range
SGE63E, SGV63E, SHE68E, SHE7ER, SHE8ER, SHE9ER, SHE9PT, SHV58E, SHV68E, SHV7ER, SHV9ER, SHV9PT, SHX58E, SHX5ER, SHX68E, SHX7ER, SHX8ER, SHX9ER, SHX9PT, SPE5ES, SPV5ES, SPX5ES
FD 8801 - FD 9312
DF2417, DF2607, DF2617
FD 8904 – FD 9312
FD 8908 - FD 9312
Model # beginning with
Serial # beginning with
630.13003, 630.13023, 630.13993, 630.14003
010 or 013
Incidents/Injuries: BSH Home Appliances has received 10 reports of the electrical cord overheating, including five reports of fire resulting in property damage. No injuries have been reported.
Consumers should immediately stop using the dishwasher and contact BSH Home Appliances for a free inspection and repair.
Sold at appliance and specialty retailers, department stores, authorized builder distributors, home improvement stores nationwide and online between January 2009 and May 2014 for between $850 and $2600. Importer BSH Home Appliances Corp., of Irvine, Calif.; Manufactured in Germany
- BSH Home Appliances Repair Hotline toll-free at 888-965-5813 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST Monday through Sunday or the brand Web site for more information.
- Bosch www.bosch-home.com/us and click on Support, then Safety Notices
- Gaggenau www.gaggenau.com/us and click on Support, then Safety Notices
- Kenmore www.sears.com and click on Product Recalls at the bottom of the page
- Thermador www.thermador.com and click on Support, then Safety Notices
The following information on restaurants with and other venues with sukkahs is from the following sources (October 3, 2015).
This list of restaurants with sukkot is non-complete. It is advisable to confirm with any restaurant or venue prior to making the trip as to whether a sukkah is present. Kashrut.com does not take any resposibility as to the accuracy of the list below.
- SHERMAN OAKS
- Orange Delite & Grill: Open Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- LOS ANGELES
- Shiloh's Steakhouse: Open Chol Hamoed and Saturday night with a Large Sukkah fitting 80 people.
- MIAMI BEACH & MIAMI
- Beyond Shemtov's; Open Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Capri Kosher Miami; Open Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- House of Dog Miami Beach/Boca Raton: Open all Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Rare Steakhouse Open all Yom Tov and Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Chalavi 2931 West Touhy, Chicago, IL (773)-338-9640
- Great Chicago…3149 W Devon, Chicago, IL(773) 465-9030
- Milt's BBQ for the Perplexed: 3411 N. Broadway Chicago, IL (773) 661-6384, Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah for 16 people.
- HIGHLAND PARK
- Mizrahi Grill: 215 Skokie Valley Rd, Highland Park, IL(847)-831-1400
- Hungarian Kosher… 4020 Oakton, Skokie, IL(847) 674-8008
- Kens Diner… 3353 Dempster Skokie, IL (847) 679-4030
- Shallots: 7016 Carpenter Road, Skokie, IL (847) 677-3463
- Taboun Grill: 8808 N. Gross Point Road, Skokie, IL (847)-965-1818
- The Chabad Sukkah Mobile is scheduled to be at the following location at least part of the day during Chol Hamoed. It would be advisable to confirm with the restaurant prior to making the trip.
- Emma’s Bagel Cafe … 9306 Skokie Blvd, Skokie, IL 847- 673-3030
- Accents Grill Atrium, Cocoaccinos & Serengeti: Open on Chol Hamoed with 2 Sukkahs available to accommodate patrons from all three restaurants. Sukkahs are located at the Greenspring Shopping Center in Baltimore.
- Milk Street Cafe: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- LAS VEGAS
- Anise Tapas & Grill: Open Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Avenue Grill & Sushi: Open for Chol Hamoed, not open Saturday night. Will have a Sukkah.
- Teaneck Doghouse: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah fitting 35 people.
- The Orchid: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah
- Boeuf & Bun: Open on Chol Hamoed with Sukkah.
- Carlos & Gabby's: Open Chol Hamoed & Saturday Nights with a Sukkah.
- Chagall Bistro: Open for Chol Hamoed Wednesday and Thursday for lunch from 12PM-2:30PM and dinner from 5PM-10:30PM with small Sukkah for netilat/kiddush.
- China Glatt: Open from 4PM-9PM on Chol Hamoed with a NEW Expanded Sukkah.
- El Gaucho Glatt: Open 1PM - 11PM Wednesday & Thursday only with a 40 person Sukkah.
- Holy Schnitzel: Brooklyn / Staten Island / Five Towns; All locations open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Orchidea: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Perizia Kosher Pizza: Open Motzei Chag and Motzei Shabbos with a Sukkah.
- Pescada: Open Chol Hamoed Wednesday and Thursday from 10:30AM - 11:30PM and Saturday Night until 1:30AM with a Sukkah.
- Pizza Plus: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Succah. Open Saturday night from 9PM-1AM and Sunday from 11AM-3:30PM
- Prime Burger: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Prime Pizza: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Subsational: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
T-Fusion Steakhouse: Open Chol Hamoed with a large Sukkah.
- Bravo Pizza: 17 Trinity Place, New York, NY 10006 Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Eighteen Restaurant: 240 East 81st Street, (off 2nd Avenue), New York, NY 10028 - Open Chol Hamoed with Sukkah. 212-517-2400.
- Jerusalem Cafe: Open on Chol Hamoed. Will have a 100 person Sukkah.- sukkah at 5th & 37th
- Cafe K; sukkah holding about 20 people
- Le Marais: Open on Chol Hamoed with Sukkah fitting 18 people.
- Mr. Broadway: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Prime at the Bentley: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Prime Grill: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Prime KO: Open on Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Reserve Cut at the Setai: open Sept 30, Oct 1st and Oct 2nd with a Sukkah on premises.
- Schnitzel Express: Will be open Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah.
- Talia's Steakhouse: Talia's will be serving Sukkos prepaid, prix fixe lunch and dinner meals.
- Bedford Kitchen & Wine Bar: Open Chol Hamoed with a Large Sukkah.
- Cho-Sen Garden: Open Chol Hamoed, Erev Yom Tov & Saturday night with a Sukkah.
- Marani: Open on Chol Hamoed with a beautiful Sukkah for 6 people
- FIVE TOWNS
- Cho-Sen Island: Open Chol Hamoed, Erev Yom Tov & Saturday night with a Sukkah.
- The Coffee Bar: Open Chol Hamoed with a Sukkah fitting 20 people. Click here for their specials.
- GREAT NECK: Bistro Burger
Open on Chol Hamoed and Saturday Nights with a Sukkah.
- Cho-Sen Village: Open Chol Hamoed, Erev Yom Tov & Saturday night with a Sukkah.
- Chez Benny
- Le Grill Midtown
- Pizza Pita
- Yakimoto Susi Bar
- El Restaurante Gaucho Grill- has a sukkah
The following schach mat information Atlanta Kashruth Commission on September 21, 2015.
Some mats found at Home Depot are acceptable for schach:
- 6 foot X 16 foot variety, with UPC code 48037 06164, and marked as having a Natural Finish. This variety is available online at http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-6-ft-H-x-16-ft-L-Natural-Reed-Bamboo-Garden-Fence-0406164/203580820" target=\hd1'>Home depot1.
- 4 foot X 8 foot variety, with UPC code 48037 77301 and a Peeled and Polished Finish.
[This product is sold either under the Hampton Bay or Garden Path brand name.] It is available online at Homedepot2.
- 6 feet X 16 feet, with the Backyard XScapes brand name, UPC code 71746 00530, and marked as being Natural “Peeled” Reed Fencing, is available online only at Homedepot3.
These three varieties may be used as schach only if:
- The reeds are placed perpendicular to the schach support‐beams rather than parallel to the beams.
- A piece of wood or some other piece of kosher schach should be placed on top of the fencing, so that the fencing is secure enough to not blow off during Succos. [This extra piece of wood should not be nailed or otherwise fastened to the schach, and it should be placed perpendicular to the reeds.] This condition applies to all lightweight schach including mats.
- As with all schach, the schach‐portions of the mat must be thick enough that they provide more shaded area than open space [In this context, there is reason to assume that broken reeds do not “count” towards the calculation of shaded areas.] It may be necessary to place a double layer of mats in order to accomplish this.
For more information please contact the CRC at: 773-465-3900 OR crcweb.org
The following schach mat information is from the CRC on September 11, 2015.
The Chicago Rabbinical Council has published information on the use of Schach mat fencing that is available at some home improvement stores. "Please note that the instructions given on how to place the mats must be followed in order to ensure the kosher status of one's sukka. In addition, an abundance of broken reeds can also invalidate the schach from being used, and each mat must be inspected to ensure the mats provide the proper coverage needed for there to be 'more shade than sun'".
cRc recommendations and instructions.
cRc recommendations and instructions with a brief summary of the halachik issues that were addressed.
The following food safety information is from the FoodSafety.gov on September 10, 2015.
The Food Safety and Inspection Service of the USDA is reminding people of safe food handling practices for the holiday.
Ed. note: Keep hot food hot above 140˚F.
The following information is from the FDA and foodsafety.com on September 10, 2015.
The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Preventive Controls for Human Food rule is now final, and compliance dates for some businesses begin in September 2016.
Broadly, the rules require registered food facilities to maintain a food safety plan, perform a hazard analysis, and institute preventive controls for dealing with those hazards. Facilities also have to verify and document that their controls are working.
Very small businesses have three years to comply with the rules, small businesses have two years, and the rest have one year.
The following product safety alert is from the CPSC on September 10, 2015.
Glacier Bay and Schӧn toughless kitchen faucets were recalled by Lota because the battery box used to power the faucet’s sensor can short circuit, overheat and/or melt, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.
his recall involves Glacier Bay and Schӧn brand touchless kitchen faucets that allow the user to waive a hand in front of a sensor to start and stop the flow of water, a pull-down sprayer head with a white LED light and a single handle to manually turn the water on and off. The touchless feature is powered by four 1.5V batteries installed into a battery box connected to the faucet. The Glacier Bay faucets include a matching soap dispenser. Glacier Bay is printed on the base of the Glacier Bay faucets. Schӧn is printed on the base of the Schӧn faucets. The Glacier Bay faucets were sold in chrome, Mediterranean bronze and stainless steel. The Schӧn faucets were sold in chrome and stainless steel. The model number and the manufacturing date are printed on the faucet’s black piping that connects the faucet to the kitchen’s water pipe under the sink. Manufacturing dates are the YY-MM-DD format, e.g. 14-10-29 was manufactured on October 29, 2014. The faucets have the following model numbers and manufacturing dates:
| Model Number
||14-10-29 through 15-04-14
||Touchless single-handle pull-down sprayer kitchen faucet with LED light (chrome)
||14-10-29 through 15-04-14
||Touchless single-handle pull-down sprayer kitchen faucet with LED light (Mediterranean bronze)
|14-10-29 through 15-04-14
||Touchless single-handle pull-down sprayer kitchen faucet with LED light (stainless steel)
|14-10-29 through 15-04-14
||Schön modern kitchen modern sensor pulldown (chrome)
|14-10-29 through 15-04-14
||Schön modern kitchen sensor pulldown (stainless steel)
The firm has received six reports of the faucet’s battery box overheating, melting and/or smoking, including one report of a fire in the box and one report of a burn to a consumer’s thumb.
Consumers should immediately unplug and remove batteries from the faucet’s battery box and contact Lota USA for a replacement battery box for the faucet.
Sold exclusively at
The Home Depot stores nationwide and online at www.homedepot.com from March 2015 through May 2015 for about $225.
Importer(s)Lota USA, of Los Angeles, Calif.; Manufactured in
Consumer Contact: Lota USA/Parts Helper toll-free at 877-580-5682 Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET, on Saturdays between 7 a.m. and 2 p.m. ET, or online at www.lotausa.com and click on “Recall” or at www.homedepot.com and click on "Product Recalls" at the bottom of the page for more information.
The following product safety alert is from the CPSC on September 9, 2015.
Kenwood is reclling blenders because the lower blade can break during use, posing a laceration hazard.
The recalled blender is the Kenwood Blend-X PRO, BLM800. The glass jar has a glass handle and a black plastic lid and sits on a grey power unit with a motor and user control panel. On the front lower portion of the base is the Kenwood logo on a silver plate. On the bottom of the blender’s base, the rating label of recalled units has Type BLM80 and a date code ranging from 14X01 to 15X22 (“X” being any letter) stamped on the label.
Sold at Bloomingdales, Classic Cook, Frontgate, Good 4u Products, Kitchen Appliances, Kitchen Couture, Kitchen Window, Kitchens With Jazz, Las Cosas Cooking, Le Petite, M & K, Main Street Kitchens, Rolling Pin-Neeve, Ralph's Thyme In The Kitchen, The Cooking Depot, The Cupboard, The Kitchen Clique and online at Bllomingdales.com and frontgate.com from August 2014 through July 2015 for approximately $400.
Consumers should immediately stop using the blender and contact Kenwood to arrange for a free replacement blade assembly kit to be mailed to their homes.
Consumer Contact: Kenwood toll-free at 866-367-4561 anytime or online at www.kenwoodworld.com, click on United States and then “Recall Information” for more information.