K A S H R U T . C O M©
The Premier Kosher Information Source on the Internet
HOME | PASSOVER | CONSUMER | COMMERCIAL | TRAVEL | ZEMANIM | LINKS |
ARTICLES | RECIPES | HUMOR | E-MAIL LIST
Misc. Passover Product Information
This list was prepared by Arlene Mathes-Scharf
The source of the information is listed with the information. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This information is for Passover 2018.
The products without certification should be purchased before Passover.
(list updated March 15, 2018).
Are the following products usable for Passover without Passover
- Chia Seeds:
- Raw Chia seeds with no added kosher sensitive ingredients they are fine for Pesach (cRc)
- Chia flour- needs Passover certification
Cacao(cocoa) Beans or Nibs
- Acceptable For Passover Without Certification (cRc)
- cRc: Acceptable if 100% pure and not processed in Europe. All Hershey's are acceptable except Special Dark .
- Coconut Oil
- Virgin coconut oil with an OU is acceptable for Pesach without without Passover certification:. (OU)
- Trader Joes Organic triple filtered virgin coconut oil- (Kosher Check) - no P required
- Kirkland Organic virgin coconut oil- cold pressed; unrefined (London Beth Din) - no P required
- Carrington Farms(Star-KP Required) Refined Organic Coconut Oil, Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil
- Shoprite (Star-K/P Required) Refined Coconut Oil, Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil
- Wegmans Organic: ( Star-KP Required)- Refined Coconut Oil Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Coconut Flour
- Coconut Secrets (Star-K) usable for Passover
- Trader Joes Organic Coconut Flour certified by Kosher Check is usable for Passover, not product certified by Kehilla Kosher (OK).
- Let's Do. Organic Coconut Flour (Heart K) not usable for Passover
- Let’s Do Organic Creamed Coconut (Heart K)not usable for Passover
- Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour (Kehilla Kosher, OK) not usable for Passover
- Coconut- other products
shredded: Sweetened or flavored requires Passover certification. If it is not sweetened or flavored, and contains no other ingredients, it is acceptable without Passover certification.(cRc)
- Trader Joes Organic Unsweetened Coconut Chips- yes (Kosher Check)
- Arya ( Star-KP Required) Coconut Chips - fine, medium; Organic Coconut Chips - fine, medium
- Aunt Patty's ( Star-K/No P Required) Dessicated Coconut Chips - flakes, medium Organic Coconut Chips - fine, flakes, medium, macaroon
- Coconut Secret ( Star-K/No P Required): Coconut Aminos, Coconut Crystal, Coconut Flour, Coconut Nectar, Coconut Vinegar
- Coconut Milk
- Trader Joes Organic (canned) Coconut Milk - yes (Kosher Check)
- Coconut milk (Passover) Must bear reliable Passover certification cRc
- Coconut Sugar
- Coconut Secret sugar plain Star-K acceptable for Passover
- The following plain instant coffees are usable without Passover Certification (OU):
- Folgers, Regular and Decaffeinated (OU)
- Necafe Taster's Choice Regular only (OU)
- Via (REGULAR Only) (OU)
- Maxwell House,Sanka OK-P year-round
- Kirkland Salmon: The Kirkland Atlantic (Farm Raised) Salmon is acceptable as is for Passover when it bears the OU symbol, while Kirkland Wild Frozen Salmon is acceptable only after rinsing it off. (OU)
- Kirkland's Frozen Tilapia when bearing the standard OU symbol is also acceptable for Passover after rinsing.
- Salmon, fresh: Acceptable without Passover Certification. Must be rinsed prior to use (cRc)
- MEMBER’S MARK - C. WIRTHY & CO. ATLANTIC SALMON FROZEN FILLETS ( raw only) bearing a Kof-K and stating Product of Chile, sold at Sam’s Club, are Kosher for Pesach.
- FISHIN brand FROZEN WHITING FILLETS (plain unseasoned, raw) bearing a Kof-K
and stating Product of Chile are Kosher for Pesach.
- Other Fish: Due to the possible application of glazes to raw fish, it should be purchased only with reliable kosher certification (OU)
- Fish, fresh: Acceptable without Passover Certification. One should wash the fish well in cold water before use. (cRc)
- Dried fruit needs certification unless otherwise noted
- Aunt Patty's (Star-K/No P Required): Apricots, Figs
- Happy Apricots (Star-K/No P Required): Apricots, Whole Organic Apricots, Whole
- Kirici (Star-K/No P Required): Apricots, Whole
- Natural Food Source (Star-K/No P Required): Apricots, Whole
- Nimeks (Star-K/No P Required): Apricots, Whole, Figs, Whole
- Nimeks Organics (Star-K/No P Required) Urganic Apricots, Whole
Organic Figs, Whole
- Smart Harvest (Star-K/No P Required) Apricots, Whole
- Sunny Fruit (Star-K/No P Required) Apricots, Whole Figs, Whole
- Sunsational Fruits (Star-K/No P Required) Apricots, Whole Figs, Whole
- Sunrose (Star-K/No P Required) Apricots, Whole Figs, Whole
- Sunsweet prunes with a Triangle K-P (Star-K)
- Frozen fruit may be used without hashgachah if it is not sweetened or cooked and does not contain sensitive additives such as acorbic and citric acid which can be chametz or kitnios (or innocuous), Sugar does not pose a Pesach concern, fruit sweetened with sugar (without any other ingredients) is acceptable for Pesach. (cRc)
- From the Star-K
- Fairmont Frozen (Star-K/P Required) Cranberries, Rhubarb
- Kosher Taste (Star-K/P Required) Frozen Blueberries
- All other brands of frozen unsweetened additive-free
(without syrup, citric acid, ascorbic acid, or vitamin C), whole, sliced or formed fruit may be used. The above applies to frozen fruits that do not have an issue with insect infestation, such as sliced peaches, melon balls and cranberries. However, frozen fruit that may be infested (e.g., strawberries) may only be used year-round, including Pesach, when bearing an approved Kashrus symbol. No additional Passover symbol is required.
Hemp- may be used on Passover. Purchase from manufacturers that do not process chometz grains. Consumers are required to carefully check grains BEFORE PESACH for extraneous matter Star-K; kitniot according to the cRc and OU
Milk and Milk substitutes
- Plain liquid Milk -purchase before Passover if it does not bear Passover certification
- Lactaid Milk: - Caplets may contain chometz and may not be used on Pesach
. Lactaid Milk may be used on Pesach if purchased BEFORE Pesach. This product is not
- Nonfat Dried Milk without additives before Pesach: Yes (Kosherquest.org)
Meat: raw fresh (not ground) Acceptable without Passover Certification if in original packaging cRc
From the Star-K: All packaged raw meat products should be used with reliable certifying agency Passover approval. If Passover-approved raw meat is not available, or the meat was already purchased without Passover approval, then it should be washed, ideally before Pesach
. This should not be done over a Pesach sink. (However, all ground meat products require
KFP certification and may not be used on Pesach without KFP certification, even if washed).
- Meal Mart ground beef should not be used on Pessach unless it bears an OU-P.
- ALL RAW meat are KFP without special designation.
- The following applies only to GROUND:
Passover approved without special Passover-designation:
- 1 lbs. square blocks.
- 3 X 1 lbs. square blocks.
- 5 lbs. in clear vacuum bag (Institutional pack).
- Passover-designation required:
- 2 lbs. in white casing (sleeve).
- 10 lbs. in white casing (sleeve).
- For all products - Deli, ground beef, chopped liver -- always require special Pesach hashgacha unless noted as not needing Passover certification.
- Shirataki Noodles needs certification
- OU: Raw: whole, pieces and nut meal are acceptable for Passover, No added ingredients. *
- cRc: Whole, slivered, or chopped nuts are acceptable without Passover Certification whether in or out of the shell, except if they are (a) blanched or roasted (all varieties), (b) finely ground into a powder, such as almond flour, (c) contain BHT or BHA, (d) shelled pecans (all varieties), or (e) peanuts (which are kitnios). The OU also requires certification for pecans.
- OU and Kosherquest: Whole pecans and half pecans do NOT require Kosher for Pesach certification. However, pecan pieces and midget pecans must bear a Kosher for Pesach symbol due to proccesing.
- Pine Nuts Acceptable without Passover Certification if free of BHT/BHA cRc
- Almond Meal
- Cal-Pure Almond Meal-Raw Pareve OU, Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Paramount Farms Almond Meal Blanched-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Paramount Farms Almond Meal-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Golden Orchards Almond Meal Blanched-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Cal-Pure Almond Meal Blanched-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Golden Orchards Almond Meal-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Almond Flour needs Passover certification
- Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal Flour: OK, Teichman not usable for Passover
- Trader Joes Blanched Almond Flour is not Kosher for Passover. (OK)
Oil: from Star-K
- Virgin Avocado Oil, is acceptable when bearing the regular OU symbol. (OU)
- DeLaRosa (Star-KP Required): Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil
- Pompeian (Star-K/No P Required): Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil
- Unrefined Virgin Red Palm oil
- Unrefined Nutriva Red Palm oil is acceptable for Passover with the OU symbol. (OU)
- OIL, COOKING SPRAY
- Arista (Star-K P Required): Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil
- DeLaRosa (Star-K P Required): Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil
- Pompeian (Star-K/No P Required): Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil
- Chosen Avocado Oil Spray contains refined oil- not usable for Passover (OU)
Quinoa flour - needs Passover certification
BJ's- Wellesley Farm Quinoa not usable for Passover cRc
- Quinoa needs Passover certification, see Still Quonfused about Quinoa
- From the Star-K - The following products are approved for Passover use when bearing the STAR-K symbol: Ancient Harvest (Star-K/No P Required) Red Quinoa 50lb bulk bag, Organic
- The following 3 products are approved for Passover when bearing Star-K and produced by Andean Valley, Bolivia. No additional Passover symbol needed.
- Green Quinoa brand, Raw whole grain quinoa only
- White Grain Royal Quinoa, 12 oz
- Red Grain Royal Quinoa, 12 oz
- Tri-Color Grain Royal Quinoa, 12 oz
- Agave Syrup - needs certification
- Honey - needs certification
- Maple Syrup- needs certification for Passover
- Palm Sugar, Coconut Sugar
- Coconut Secrets Crystals (Star-K) usable without Passover certification
- Trader Joes Coconut Aminos - no -Kosher Check
- Stevia- needs Passover certification
- Xylitol: OU: needs certification;
- Health Garden: OU-P
- Xyla Xylitol no
- Lantic (Rogers) Sugar (aside for the icing sugar).(Kosher Check, no P needed)
- US Sugar plain granulated and brown US SUGAR are fine for Pesach (and any generic of the above bearing a BVK)
- Raw vegetables that are usable for Passover do not need a hecksher
- Packaged Baby Carrots yes if contain on sensitive additives (cRc); OU-wash first
- Dole bagged Salads: Star-K: need Passover certification
- Fresh Express bagged salads: Star-K: need Passover certifiction
- Frozen Vegetables- need Passover certification (cRc)
- River Ranch bagged Salads (store brands): Star-k: need special Passover certification
- Sundried tomatoes require certification (cRc)
- SUPREME CUTS Raw Vegetables: Butternut Squash Noodles, Green Zucchini Noodles, Harvest Medley Noodles, Primevera Noodles, Red Beets Noodles, Sweet Potato Noodles, Turnip Noodles, Yellow Squash Noodles usable with plain OU
- Bagged vegetables such as pre-washed lettuce (other than Dole and Fresh Express brands), baby carrots, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, raw cole slaw mix, etc. are acceptable for Passover use if they do not contain sensitive ingredients. However, they should be purchased prior to Passover and must be checked for insects when necessary. (cRc)
- Veggie Wash: Fit (OU)- wash product with water before using; contains kitniot
Personal Care products
- Lip balm does not need Passover certification (cRc)
- Toothpaste and Mouthwash (info from OU)
- Kosher Innovations: Shabbos Toothwash (OU-P)
- Supersmile: "In Between" Mouthrinse (OU)
- Tom's of Maine:
- Tom's of Maine Peppermint Whole Care Toothpaste (OU)
- Tom's of Maine Spearmint Whole Care Toothpaste (OU)
* Note: From the Star-K: If label states that it is processed in a plant that processes
kitniyos or chometz, then it requires a reliable KFP certification. Note: Many consider peanuts as kitniyos, which are not permissible on Pesach. Also, dry roasted nuts and ground nuts require reliable KFP certification.
The COR -Kashruth Council of Canada explains allergen declarations on labels at Note Regarding "May Contain" Declarations
Back to the Pesach directory page
Back to the
Kashrut.com home page