K A S H R U T . C O M©
The Premier Kosher Information Source on the Internet
HOME | PASSOVER | CONSUMER | COMMERCIAL | TRAVEL | ZEMANIM | LINKS |
ARTICLES | RECIPES | HUMOR | E-MAIL LIST
Misc. Passover Product Information
This list was prepared by Arlene Mathes-Scharf
The source of the information is listed with the information. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This information is for Passover 2017.
The products without certification should be purchased before Passover.
(list updated March 14, 2017).
Are the following products usable for Passover without Passover
- Chia Seeds:
- Navitas (Earth K) yes
- Raw Chia seeds with no added kosher sensitive ingredients they are fine for Pesach (cRc); Star-K: Purchase from manufacturers that do not process
chometz grains. Consumers are required to carefully check grains BEFORE PESACH for extraneous matter. *
- Chia flour- needs Passover certification
- Navitas Chia Flour (Earth K) (not usable for Passover)
Cacao Beans or Nibs
- Navitas cacao beans (Earth K)
- Acceptable For Passover Without Certification (cRc)
cRc: Acceptable if 100% pure and not processed in Europe. All Hershey's are acceptable except Special Dark .
Navitas cacao powder (Earth K)
- Coconut Oil
- Spectrum Organic Virgin/Crude Coconut Oil (unrefined oil) (plain OU); Kosherquest.org
- Trader Joes Organic triple filtered virgin coconut oil- (Kosher Check) - no P required
- Carrington Farms (Star-KP Required): Refined Organic Coconut Oil; Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil
- Clearly Organic (Star-KP Required) Unrefined Coconut Oil
- GE Abound (Star-K/No P Required) Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Natural Earth Products: (Star-KP Required) Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Nature’s Basket: (Star-K/No P Required) Unrefined Organic E.V. coconut oil
- Nature’s Promise: ( Star-KP Required) Unrefined Coconut Oil
Shoprite: ( Star-KP Required) Refined Organic Coconut Oil, Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil
- Wegmans Organic: ( Star-KP Required)- Refined Coconut Oil Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Coconut Flour
- Coconut Secrets (Star-K) usable for Passover
- Trader Joes Organic Coconut Flour certified by Kosher Check is usable for Passover, not product certified by Kehilla Kosher (OK).
- Let's Do. Organic Coconut Flour (Heart K) not usable for Passover
- Let’s Do Organic Creamed Coconut (Heart K)not usable for Passover
- Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour (Kehilla Kosher: Rabbi Avrohon Teichman) not usable for Passover
- Coconut- other products
shredded: Sweetened or flavored requires Passover certification. If it is not sweetened or flavored, and contains no other ingredients, it is acceptable without Passover certification.(cRc)
- Trader Joes Organic Unsweetened Coconut Chips- yes (Kosher Check)
- Arya ( Star-KP Required) Coconut Chips - fine, medium; Organic Coconut Chips - fine, medium
- Aunt Patty’s ( Star-K/No P Required) Dessicated Coconut Chips - flakes, medium Organic Coconut Chips - fine, flakes, medium, macaroon
- Coconut Secret ( Star-K/No P Required): Coconut Aminos, Coconut Crystal, Coconut Flour, Coconut Nectar, Coconut Vinegar
- Cocozia (Star-K /No P Required) - Organic Coconut Flour, Organic Dessicated Coconut Chips - medium, shredded, flakes, macaroon
- Epicurex ( Star-K/No P Required) - Organic Coconut Flour, Organic Dessicated Coconut Chips - medium, shredded, flakes, macaroon
- Vitacoco ( Star-KP Required - lot #s 7016SM6 & 7016SM1B) Coconut Water
- Coconut Milk
- Trader Joes Organic (canned) Coconut Milk - yes (Kosher Check)
- Coconut milk (Passover) Must bear reliable Passover certification cRc
- Coconut Sugar
- Navitas (Earth K)
- Coconut Secret sugar plain Star-K acceptable for Passover
- The following plain instant coffees are usable without Passover Certification (OU):
- Folgers, canffeinated and decaffeinated
- Necafe Taster's choice not decaffeinated
- De-caffeinated coffee needs Passover certification
- Maxwell House,Sanka OK-P year-round
- Kirkland Salmon: The Kirkland Atlantic (Farm Raised) Salmon is acceptable as is for Passover when it bears the OU symbol, while Kirkland Wild Frozen Salmon is acceptable only after rinsing it off. (OU)
- Salmon, fresh: Acceptable without Passover Certification. Must be rinsed prior to use (cRc)
- Other Fish: Due to the possible application of glazes to raw fish, it should be purchased only with reliable kosher certification (OU)
- BJ's Aqua Farms Frozen Salmon should NOT be used for Passover even though it bears a OU kosher symbol.(OU)
- Fish, fresh: Acceptable without Passover Certification. One should wash the fish well in cold water before use. (cRc)
Fruit- Dried fruit needs certification unless otherwise noted
Gocmez Apricots, Happy Apricots, Sunny Fruit Apricots & Figs (Star-K, no "P" required).
- Fruit, frozen: Frozen fruit may be used without hashgachah if it is not sweetened or cooked and does not contain sensitive additives such as acorbic and citric acid which can be chametz or kitnios (or innocuous), Sugar does not pose a Pesach concern, fruit sweetened with sugar (without any other ingredients) is acceptable for Pesach. (cRc)
- Navitas naturals Goji berries (with not additives) acceptable without Passover certification- Earth K
- Navitas naturals Goldenberries berries (with not additives) acceptable without Passover certification- Earth K
Hemp- may be used on Passover. Purchase from manufacturers that do not process chometz grains. Consumers are required to carefully check grains BEFORE PESACH for extraneous matter (Star-K)
Milk and Milk substitutes
- Plain Milk: Plain liquid milk
- Nonfat Dried Milk without additives before Pesach: Yes (Kosherquest.org)
Meat: raw fresh (not ground) Acceptable without Passover Certification if in original packaging cRc
From the Star-K: All packaged raw meat products should be used with reliable certifying agency Passover approval. If Passover-approved raw meat is not available, or the meat was already purchased without Passover approval, then it should be washed, ideally before Pesach
. This should not be done over a Pesach sink. (However, all ground meat products require
KFP certification and may not be used on Pesach without KFP certification, even if washed).
- Meal Mart ground beef should not be used on Pessach unless it bears an OU-P.
- Solomon Ground Beef can be used for Passover with just an OU and without a Passover symbol.
- Solomon Brisket can be used for Passover with just an OU and without a Passover symbol.
- Shirataki Noodles needs certification
OU: Raw: whole, pieces and nut meal are acceptable for Passover. *
cRc: Whole, slivered, or chopped nuts are acceptable without Passover Certification whether in or out of the shell, except if they are (a) blanched or roasted (all varieties), (b) finely ground into a powder, such as almond flour, (c) contain BHT or BHA, (d) shelled pecans (all varieties), or (e) peanuts (which are kitnios). The OU also requires certification for pecans.
- Kosherquest: Whole pecans and half pecans do NOT require Kosher for Pesach certification. However, pecan pieces and midget pecans must bear a Kosher for Pesach symbol due to proccesing.
- Pine Nuts Acceptable without Passover Certification if free of BHT/BHA cRc
- Navitas Cashew Whole Nuts - not additives) acceptable without Passover certification- Earth K
- Almond Meal
- Cal-Pure Almond Meal-Raw Pareve OU, Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Paramount Farms Almond Meal Blanched-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Paramount Farms Almond Meal-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Golden Orchards Almond Meal Blanched-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Cal-Pure Almond Meal Blanched-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Golden Orchards Almond Meal-Raw Pareve OU Symbol required. Kosher for Passover without special certification.
- Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal Flour: Rabbi Avrohon Teichman not usable for Passover
- Trader Joes Blanched Almond Flour is not Kosher for Passover. (OK)
Oil: from Star-K
- OIL, GRAPESEED
- DeLaRosa (Star-KP Required)
- Pompeian (Star-K/No P Required)
- OIL, COOKING SPRAY
- Arista (Star-K P Required)
- Avocado Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- DeLaRosa (Star-K P Required)
- Avocado Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Pompeian (Star-K/No P Required)
- Avocado Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Ancient Harvest (STAR-K symbol- Ancient Harvest White Grains Traditional Quinoa, Organic (12 oz. box, 27 oz. pouch), Inca Red Grains Quinoa, Organic (12 oz. box), Tricolor Grains Harmony Blend Quinoa, Organic (12 oz. box): re approved for Passover use when bearing the STAR-K symbol and a “Best By” date of 2/01/19 through 2/28/19. A Kosher for Passover statement on label is not necessary.
- Other Quinoa needs Passover certification, see Still Quonfused about Quinoa
- Quinoa flour - needs Passover certification
- BJ's- Wellesley Farm Quinoa not usable for Passover cRc
- Agave Syrup - needs certification
- Adama Organic Agave Syrup
- Associated Wholesale Grocers (AWG) Clearly Organic Agave Sweetener (when bearing OK-P)
- Food Emporium Oraganic Blue Agave Sweetener (when bearing OK-P)
- Goya Agave Organic Sweetener (when bearing OK-P)
- Health Garden (when bearing OK-P)
(when bearing OK-P)
- Maretai Agave Syrup (when bearing OK-P)
- Roundy's Simply Roundy's Organic Agave Nectar (when bearing OK-P)
- Sophia Foods Sophia Organic Agave Syrup (when bearing OK-P)
- Western Family Foods Natural Directions Organic Blue Agave Nectar(when bearing OK-P)
- Coconut Sugar - Navitas (Earth K)
- Honey - needs certification
- Maple Syrup- needs certification for Passover
- Palm Sugar, Coconut Sugar
- Sweet Tree Coconut Palm Sugar & Nectar (Earth K)- usable without Passover certification
- Coconut Secrets Crystals (Star-K) usable without Passover certification
- Health Garden Kosher Organic Palm Coconut Sugar - acceptable with plain OU for Passover (OU)
- Stevia- needs Passover certification
- Pure-le Natural Stevia Stevia Liquid Concentrate
(COR) not kosher for Passover
- Pure-le Natural Stevia Powder Concentrate not kosher for Passover
- SweetLeaf Stevia powder extract (Natural Food Certifiers)- not kosher for Passover
- SweetLeaf - Wisdom Stevia Clear liquid (Natural Food
Certifiers)- not kosher for Passover
- Truvia is not certified for Passover. (OU)
- Xylitol: OU: needs certification;
- Health Garden: OU-P
- Xyla Xylitol no
- Raw vegetables that are usable for Passover do not need a hecksher
- Packaged Baby Carrots yes if contain on sensitive additives (cRc); OU-wash first
- Dole bagged Salads: Star-K: need Passover certification
- Fresh Express bagged salads: Star-K: need Passover certifiction
- Frozen Vegetables- need Passover certification (cRc)
- River Ranch bagged Salads (store brands): Star-k: need special Passover certification
- Sundried tomatoes require certification (cRc)
- Bagged vegetables such as pre-washed lettuce (other than Dole and Fresh Express brands), baby carrots, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, raw cole slaw mix, etc. are acceptable for Passover use if they do not contain sensitive ingredients. However, they should be purchased prior to Passover and must be checked for insects when necessary. (cRc)
- Veggie Wash: Fit (OU)- wash product with water before using; contains kitniot
Personal Care products
- Lip balm does not need Passover certification (cRc)
- Toothpaste and Mouthwash (info from OU)
- Kosher Innovations: Shabbos Toothwash (OU-P)
- Supersmile: "In Between" Mouthrinse (OU)
- Tom's of Maine:
- Tom's of Maine Peppermint Whole Care Toothpaste (OU)
- Tom's of Maine Spearmint Whole Care Toothpaste (OU)
* Note: This year the OU and Star-K have added the following to their lists: "If label states that it is processed in a plant that processes kitniyos or chometz, then it requires a reliable KFP certification. Note: Many consider peanuts as kitniyos, which are not permissible on Pesach."
The COR -Kashruth Council of Canada explains allergen declarations on labels at Note Regarding "May Contain" Declarations
Back to the Pesach directory page
Back to the
Kashrut.com home page